Monday, March 23, 2015

Coconut Chocolate Bites



It's spring break. Need a healthy snack? Or maybe something to eat in the closet while your kids run wild through your house (just kidding; well, usually). Try these. They're a dark chocolate coconut concoction--like a Mounds Bar that decided to make some healthy choices (you know you've hit middle age when that sounds sexy...)

My one recommendation is that you don't go eat a whole bunch of these. Cut them into bite-size bits and eat as such. That's because they're what I'd like to call "high energy" bars, which is just a polite way of calling them fat. If you eat a big ol' hunk of these, well, you'll just feel kind of full and I have to warn you that these have a fair amount of coconut oil in them. Yeah, yeah, it's a healthy fat and stuff, but still it's fat and I just don't think humans are meant to consume large amounts of plain old fat by the spoonful. So be warned. 




Coconut Chocolate Bites
adapted from Art and the Kitchen
Makes 36 tiny bite-sized bars
Prep time: 5 minutes
Chill time: 1-2 hours
Cost: $8.40 (supposing you cut this into 16 bars--that makes it $.50/bar, which--in my defense--is still cheaper than a candy bar)
oil: $4.00, coconut: 2.00, chocolate: 2.00, honey: .40

Note: I told you there was a lot of fat in this. And it makes it not really so cheap. I'm sorry about that. Just eat your bite-sized bits and you can still play your cheapskate card. 

1 C organic and unrefined coconut oil (in its liquid state)
2 C unsweetened coconut
1/4 C honey
10-12 oz dark chocolate

Put a piece of parchment paper in an 8x8 inch pan (um, I'm pretty sure that was the size I used--almost positive; if, however, it looks like your bars are four inches thick, then please use a larger pan). 

In a bowl, combine melted coconut oil, unsweetened coconut, and honey. Stir well. Press into parchment-lined pan. 

Put this in the freezer or fridge to set. 

When it's set, melt chocolate. I do this in the microwave by microwaving in 30 second intervals and stirring in between. When it's melted, pour the chocolate over the coconut layer. 

Put this in the fridge to set. 

When it's set, take it out, let it get to room temperature so it's easier to cut (I know; I know). Then cut into tiny bites and eat. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...